Oct 10, 2008

October means apples

Back home again in Indiana, I found our apple tree fairly burgeoning with fruit. Some of the branches were touching the ground and the apples were begging to be harvested. A few years ago a storm brought down an old tree from the west side of our house, and it took out a second apple tree. At the time I thought, "Good, now I won't have to deal with apples because the remaining tree needs to cross pollinate." Turns out our neighbor to the south has an apple tree of the same variety, Red Delicious, and it's apparently established a mutually beneficial relationship with our tree. Because we don't spray with chemicals, few of the apples were perfect, so I've been peeling and slicing and freezing for days. Come winter I'll be glad to have the makings of pies and cobblers and applesauce, but right now this isn't the most fun thing to do, mainly because of having to fight the fruit flies and gnats. Son Eric and his wife Colleen are getting two large grocery bags of apples today. The deer and racoons and possums and groundhogs can have the rest. I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. What? You don't want to (wow, I wanted to say "slave away" but are we supposed to say that now?) work all weekend on peeling and putting away apples? Don't blame you. Funny the way nature is resilient, your tree found a mate to keep bearing fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/10/2008

    Yes, Mother Nature is resilient, and it's interesting how things balance out in the end. Is it possible that she noticed the weird weather that global warming is sending our way and is providing us with apples to eat during a hard winter? The hickory nuts and walnuts are plentiful this year, too. Does Mom Nature pay attention to the economy, too, and knows that some people will be hungrier than usual this winter? Does all this fall into the "fuzzy caterpillar" category? ;-)

    ReplyDelete