Oct 6, 2008

The Cherokees

I thought I might share some of the group's activities with those of you who weren't able to make it to the reunion. One highlight was a visit to the Museum of the Cherokee Indian, where the amazing displays, some with accompanying audio, followed the history of the Cherokees from the time of the mastodons through the "trail of tears" through the establishment of Cherokee reservations. We saw the evolution of the tools they used, their artwork and pottery and basketry, and their gardening. Meg was especially impressed with what the Cherokees call the "Three Sisters", corn, squash and beans, which they planted together in the same mound. This was what is now called "companion planting" through which all the plants benefit the others. Meg was very hungry for a plate of corn, squash and beans... but as far as I know she went home unsatisfied.

Across from the museum was a gift shop featuring Indian artwork and crafts from several of the tribes across the country. Baskets and pottery of all sizes and shapes and patterns caught my eye, but the price tags were daunting. There were pencil sketches, "dot" paintings, watercolors and oils, many representing famous Indians, and others showing the daily life of various Indian tribes, or their flora and fauna. It was an enormously fascinating and beautiful shop, but because there was so much and such a variety, there was no way we could have seen it all. Guess I get to go back some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment