May 12, 2009

"Oats, Peas, Beans and Barley Grow..."

Don't know much about oats or barley (besides the fact that I eat oatmeal for breakfast and put barley in my homemade soups), but I do know a little about peas and beans. Today I bought a packet of bush bean seeds to plant a 16' row and discovered there were only six (count them... 6!) seeds, and the instructions said to plant them 4" apart. Well, hm-m-m, they are a lot farther apart than that, so if one doesn't germinate, I'll just plant something else there. Last year, the few bean plants I had continued to produce well into October. Maybe just for fun I'll toss out some flower seed and see what happens.

On a hunch, I bought some pea seeds, too. Even remembering that the best pea crop I ever got was planted in February(!), I decided to try planting in May just to see what I might get. Even erected a trellis thing-y to support them. Next year (yup, already planning next year's garden) I'll plant some sugar snap peas, because those are the ones I really like. Thinking about asparagus starts, too, because the only way I like asparagus is right out of the garden, fresh and crisp and raw... to get that, you have to plant it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment