This clever and pretty little door hanger is going to experience some fairly heavy use this summer. My garden is going to be twice as large as last year, so this morning I was busy moving my compost piles and burning down an area of last year's leaves, small branches, clippings and garden trimmings. All last year I added to two compost piles on a regular basis; one of leftover food, eggshells and vegetable/fruit scrapings & peels; the other of yard waste, weeds, twigs, and spent flowers. Occasionally I sprinkled organic compost starter on the piles and watered them down. Probably I should have turned them on a regular basis, but the starter instructions said that wasn't necessary.
When I went after the finished compost at the bottom of the piles, I was glad to find about four bushels of rich, crumbly, dry stuff that was ready to be spread, and another couple bushels of not quite done compost that makes a good start for this year's piles. It is so easy to make good compost; if done correctly they are never odiferous; there is no cost and very little effort involved. Now if you want fast-acting, nitrogen-rich compost, you will have to ask a neighbor who has chickens or goats to donate some animal waste to add to your compost pile. We had large, steaming compost piles when we lived on the "farm" at Lost River, because we had both chickens and goats.
I'm going to get some topsoil in a day or so to add to my raised beds, and then beg, borrow or steal a tiller. Then it will be time to buy plants and seeds. Because I love flowers, there will be flowers galore, and because I like to use fresh herbs when cooking, they will have a place in my garden as well. Maybe my next entry will be about companion planting (and no, that doesn't mean my companion will help with the planting. Stay tuned!


No comments:
Post a Comment